POOL CLOSURES & RULES
At the Y, your family's health and well-being is our primary concern. That's why we adhere to the following safety procedures when thunder, lightning and other inclement weather strikes near our aquatics center. These procedures are recommended by the National Lightning Safety Institute & Redwoods Insurance Group.
Inclement Weather Pool Closure Policy
- When thunder and lightning is first noticed, pool activities will be suspended and all aquatics facilities will be evacuated until 30 minutes after the last sign of thunder or lightning. The distance from a facility to an approaching thunderstorm can be five to eight miles away, but lightning can strike from a much farther distance.
- The entire pool area will close.
- All aquatics programs scheduled any time during the closure will be cancelled, including swim team, swim lessons and water aerobics classes. The Y does not guarantee make-ups for missed classes due to inclement weather pool closures, however we will work to provide you with at least one option for a make-up class. All Participants will receive a voucher for any class that is cancelled by the Y due to pool closures.
- Please note, vouchers are not given out for personal absences.
- The pool area will be reopened 30 minutes after the last sign of thunder or lightning.
Q: Why weren't we informed about the closure before we arrived at the Y?
A: We apologize for any inconvenience. We do make every attempt to reach participants when there is an unexpected closure, but many times the nature of the closure is "last-minute" and may occur while you are already in transit.
Q: If the pool opens up in the middle of a lesson time, will the lesson take place?
A: No, unless we are able to get the full lesson time in, we will not have the lesson that day/evening. This includes starting even as little as 5 minutes late.
Q: Why do we close down for thunderstorms?
A: For the safety of the participants, the pools must be closed down. This is a policy that ties back to our insurance carrier and our concern for our members/program participants.
Q: What areas of the pool close?
A: Unfortunately we have to close all areas. As the pool deck is closed, that includes all components of the deck for which our lifeguards are responsible. Please note that the locker room doors leading out to the pool deck will be locked when the pool is closed.
Q: If my lesson ends early, do I get a voucher?
A: Vouchers are only issued if the pools close within the first 15 minutes of class.